Thursday, December 4, 2008

.htacess needs UTF-8 encoding

Yesterday, I was setting up a Wordpress Mu site and getting only "500 Internal Error". I checked web server log file and found a lot of errors like below

[Wed Dec 3 19:29:38 2008] [alert] [client xxx.xxx.37.222] /home/punkky/public_html/.htaccess: Invalid command '\xef\xbb\xbfRewriteEngine', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration


Firstly, I thought that the rewrite_mod might not be installed on the server. But it's not the case. Finally, I have found that \xef\xbb\xbfRewriteEngine was the source of problem. It means .htaccess has wrong encoding. I opened .htaccess in Notepad and saved it with 'UTF-8' encoding. The problem is solved!. Now the site is up and running.

1 comment:

TradeWonMark said...

I hope that will work on my server